Monday, August 31, 2009

Kakamega Forest


I have been to Kakamega Forest. Probably one of the most unique places I have visited in recent years. No kidding. You might be wondering,"um forest,trees?". Well Kakamega Forest has more to offer than just "um trees". It is under strict management and conservation by the Kenya National Forest Reserve as the only mid altitude tropical rainforest in Kenya. Being a walk through park,we went on self guided nature trail with my father who raked his brain as hard as possible to wow us with made up names for each and every single tree and beautiful vegetation that surrounded us. I have to hand to him,he did a pretty good job. The names were too hard to commit to memory though. At least I remember river Isiukhu,one of the two rivers that flows through the forest.
Did I mention there is a campsite and cottages just in case you decide to spend sometime in a forest.:) If you ever get the urge to get in touch with nature, well, Kakamega Forest is your ideal place to visit.

3 comments:

  1. Ben, even I haven't been to Kakamega forest. You must take me there next time although I will not promise to remember the made-up tree names :-).
    I have developed a love for bushwalking, it's really big in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After going through this article I have decided to bookmark this site found this really interesting & thanks a lot for keeping the blog Lively with such interesting blogs.
    ------------
    Journey2Thai

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you,we will try as much as possible to keep it going. Keep on reading...

    ReplyDelete