Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Nyeri


My father comes from the Western part of Kenya, my mother from Eastern Uganda and I was born and raised in Central Kenya. It's not that confusing just means I have many places to call home and go to when city life gets too much. There is a saying that only a fool forgets where he came from and I do not intend to forget my heritage.

Of all these places my favourite and the place I identify with most is Central Kenya. That's why whenever I get the chance, I go back to visit. My latest visit was in Nyeri, a very pleasant town that's about 2 and a half hour drive from Nairobi.
Don't be fooled to think that the drive is somewhat drab; it is the opposite infact, with scenic landscapes just begging for a kodak moment and I believe if you are not focused you will find yourself making unplanned-for stops to take photos of the countryside.

While in Nyeri I stayed at the brilliant Outspan Hotel with its veiws of Mt. Kenya and the Chania River flowing nearby. It is near the Karua Falls in the Aberdares. Outspan is also known for having accomodated famous visitors such as Robert Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell and his wife Olave Baden-Powell from 1938 until Baden-Powell's death in 1941.

From the Outspan one can book a night at the Treetops lodge which is nearby to view wildlife from close proximity. If camping is your drink of choice there are various campsites in Nyeri specifically the Aberedares where one can camp and bond with nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment